Tuesday 15 November 2016

SILHOUETTE DESIGN FOR THE ANIMATION


Attention to detail is very important like any another design feature. The outcome of the finished product is always a complex of many nuances which are hidden behind the output. This task is very especial as it requires to pursue the same visual style as the overall scene in the animation. We have three different characters with a contrasting anatomy and we need to find a harmony between their visual style. It is distinctively a difficult task which needs to be solved before the actual animation will take a run.

SIMPLICITY|
Detached parts of the anatomy 


I decided to keep a simple decorative aspect of my character to emphasize its shape and movement variation. I have made several cuts on the body to give a tribal look to its anatomy and several parallel cuts on the head to represent eyes. As my silhouette was way smaller than the physical model I left some space around the body untouched by the scalpel knife. The reason for this was that these spaces will serve as joint platforms. When the cut-out process was finished I started to designate attaching techniques.
Colour spreading concept
Appearing concept

Movement design and location of joints





We had many options how to assemble our character's anatomy together and we also had serious restrictions due to our character size and location of the cuts. The thread was the only appropriate option to joint parts together. In follow-up work, we faced some issues which complicated our workflow as the joints weren't able to keep some of the established positions.


TEXTURE|

After a short negotiation with my group, we identified the design which will  combine our character on the scene. I have designed the approximate look of my character which accommodates with my vision of the art style we decided to use. I eventually changed the visual aspect in the final cut-out model as I have decided to cut out some parts of the body to create a tribal look to my character avoiding any painting.

First draft of the visual side of the character

MATERIALS|

For this particular silhouette, I have to use a black cardboard, scalpel knife, silver marker pen, needle and the thread.

SUMMARY|

The overall process of designing and producing this silhouette revealed many aspects of the workflow which have been hidden while the designing remain in the head. I eventually identified many issues which I would like not to have. The preciseness of the shapes I have cut out could be better and the technique I have used for the character assembly could be changed to pins instead of the thread. All of these thoughts are coming to my mind only after I see the final work but, despite these facts, I am proud of my final piece of the work.






No comments:

Post a Comment